I’ve had two résumés for most of the past three-and-a-half years:
My best-maintained résumé is a “Google resume” – an internal résumé that links to details of what I’ve worked on that are only available within Google.
A LinkedIn profile, because one of my professors in grad school told me that I should.
Then I applied to a job at Sidewalk Labs earlier this week, and realized that I needed a not-internal résumé too. So this weekend I made:
A PDF that looks nice when printed (Word would work, too).
A public Web page, because I find Web pages are more usable and more discoverable than PDFs when published on the Web.
The web page is optional; the document isn’t. Companies almost always store snapshots of resumes, rather than a URL. And you will get much better results if you prepare the snapshot yourself rather than relying on your recruiter to turn a link you provide into one!
I’d tried keeping a Web page and PDF in sync before by copying and pasting between HTML and LaTeX source, and failed. The “most recent” PDF I made this way still had my current address as a Google office that no longer exists.
Between then and now, I’d learned about
is able to convert Markdown into basically anything. So I spent a couple hours
and came up with a Markdown document that could render attractively on both
Jekyll and under pandoc/LaTeX.
This isn’t automatic, or finished, yet - I still have to build the resume manually when I want it, and the PDF actually has a different design than the Web site. But I’m so much happier with it than with my old manual system that I think it’s worth putting out on the ‘Net: willangley/72e90e4.
res.cls, which I found through the Rensselaer Career
Development Center, handles most of the heavy TeX lifting here.
The parts I had to code are just glue: